19 April, 2016
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole
This recipe is a favorite of my youngest son. It’s also my favorite thing to make with sweet potatoes (yams). The original recipe came from Cooking Light and I’ve noted the dairy- and gluten-free substitutes.
• 14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
• 1/2 cup half-and-half or substitute with coconut creamer
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or substitute with Bob’s Red Mill GF baking mix
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup chilled butter or substitute with Earth Balance, cut into small pieces
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.
Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated.